2018 District 186 Staffing Timelines
(Refer also to SEA Contract, ARTICLE 17: VACANCIES, TRANSFERS AND PROMOTION)
Jan 25-Feb 26: Building Allocations
- Staffing allocations will go out to principals on January 25th.
- Staffing will be returned to HR by February 26.
- Staffing cuts result in displacements.
- Volunteers are considered first. If there are no volunteers, then displacements are made by seniority.
Mar 16-Apr 6: Displaced Process
- Displaced teachers are placed on a list in order of seniority.
- A master list of known vacancies will be shared with each displaced teacher.
- Displaced teachers shall contact principals of the buildings that have vacancies, either in person or by a phone call to learn about the position and to schedule a visit.
- Displaced teachers will select their top three choices of positions from the master vacancy list based on seniority and certification requirements.
- The SEA office will receive displaced choices and assign displaced teachers into positions based on seniority and certification.
- A displaced teacher may select to stay in the pool to select a vacant position.
- After the last day of school, any teacher who remains in the “pool” will be placed in a position by the Director of Human Resources.
The RIF (Reduction in Force) Process
- Done by district seniority.
- RIF groupings – teachers with two or more ‘Needs to Improve’ evaluations will be RIF’d regardless of seniority.
- Notified by registered mail 45 calendar days prior to the end of the school year.
- Recall based on openings and seniority.
Apr 9-May 11: Voluntary Transfer
- Positions available for voluntary transfer will be listed on the District Intranet for 4 days starting on April 11th and running through May 8th. This is updated daily.
- Teachers interested in applying for a voluntary transfer need to apply electronically on the District Intranet.
- A minimum of the 3 most senior teachers that apply for any position must be interviewed.
Additional Vacancies after Voluntary Transfer Process
- Positions will be listed on the District 186 website through the third Friday in July.
- Currently-employed teachers may apply for these positions after the second Friday in May.
- There is no obligation to interview based on seniority.
- The process is very similar to certified staff.
- Occurs 1 month prior to the beginning of the school year.
- Released at the March 6th board meeting.
- Hired prior to August 1.
- Hired August 2 or after.
- Update contact information with the district.
If you have questions, email SEA president, Crysta Weitekamp at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 217-787-7060.