5. Employment of Teachers
5.1: Recommendations for Appointment by the Superintendent
5.2: Employment Period and Contracts
5.3: Termination of Employment-Resignation
5.4: Leave of Absence Replacements
5.5: One Year Only Teachers
5.6: Teachers Working on Less Than a Full-Time Basis
5.7: Pre-Service Training for New Teachers
5.8: Summer School
5.9: School Calendar(s)
The Superintendent shall recommend to the Board the appointment of all teachers of the Board, and in so doing, he/she shall observe all pertinent provisions of this Agreement.
5.2 EMPLOYMENT PERIOD AND CONTRACTS
Length of Contracts:
Regular teachers shall be employed for a school year which is determined by the Board according to state law and local rules and regulations. Teachers in special categories may be employed for longer contract periods on the basis of their particular assignments.
Issuance of Salary Notifications:
Salary notifications for teachers shall be issued within 30 days following adoption of the negotiated salary schedule. In the event unanticipated circumstances preclude the issuance within the designated time period, the Association would receive written notification.
5.3 TERMINATION OF EMPLOYMENT – RESIGNATION
All resignations from positions with the District shall be made in writing, with at least 30 days’ notice prior to the effective date of resignation, to the Superintendent, who will refer them to the Board for appropriate action. Each member of the professional staff is expected to fulfill the terms of the contract of his/her employment.
5.4 LEAVE OF ABSENCE REPLACEMENTS
A. When a teacher is hired to replace a staff member on leave, at the time of hire that leave of absence replacement teacher shall be given written notification that he/she is a leave of absence replacement, and that his/her employment is only for the duration of the leave.
B. A teacher hired as a leave of absence replacement shall receive a contract-fulfilled letter from the District 60 days prior to the end of the school year.
1. If the leave of absence replacement’s performance is unsatisfactory as determined by the evaluation process, and if the District does not intend to rehire that individual, the contract-fulfilled letter shall state that his/her services will no longer be needed.
2. If the leave of absence replacement’s performance is satisfactory or better, as determined by the evaluation process, he/she will receive a re-employment form to indicate preference of grade level(s) and/or subject and part or full time. Such teachers shall be considered for available positions for which they are qualified and granted an interview.
C. If the staff member on leave of absence does not return to the position, the leave of absence replacement shall be considered for the position after the application of Article XVII.
D. If the leave of absence of a staff member is extended and that staff member’s replacement is not asked to continue in that position, he/she (the leave of absence replacement) shall be given preferential consideration for any other position available for which the leave of absence replacement is qualified after the application of Article XVII of the Agreement.
E. Leave of absence replacements rehired within three years from their release shall have the accumulated sick leave, and seniority they had when released.
5.5 ONE YEAR ONLY TEACHERS
A. Teachers hired to fill newly created positions or as replacements for resignations shall be hired for the current school year.
B. A teacher hired as a one year only teacher shall receive a contract-fulfilled letter from the District 60 days prior to the end of the school year.
1. If the one year only teacher’s performance is unsatisfactory as determined by the evaluation process, and if the District does not intend to rehire that individual, the contract-fulfilled letter shall state that his/her services will no longer be needed.
2. If the one year only teacher’s performance is satisfactory or better, as determined by the evaluation process, he/she will receive a re-employment form to indicate preference of grade level(s) and/or subject and part or full time. Such teachers shall be considered for available positions for which they are qualified and granted an interview.
C. One year only teachers rehired within three years from their release shall have the accumulated sick leave and seniority they had when released.
5.6 TEACHERS WORKING ON LESS THAN A FULL-TIME BASIS
A. Teachers employed for a full year on a part-time basis shall be employed under a regular certified contract.
B. Part-Time Teachers
1. Clarification of sick leave, personal leave, and bereavement leave benefits.
a. All part-time teachers employed by District 186 shall be entitled, on a pro rata basis, to sick leave, personal leave, and bereavement leave as set forth in the Agreement.
b. Teachers whose contracts change from one year to another shall have accumulated sick leave days converted in accordance with their new schedules.
2. Clarification of medical insurance benefits
a. A certified staff member who works 29 hours or more per week is eligible to receive district health insurance at the same rate being offered to fulltime certified staff members. A certified staff member who works fewer than 29 hours per week will not be eligible to receive district health insurance.
b. With respect to part-time teachers employed on a basis of .5 or more and who were working in the district in that capacity at the close of the 1985-86 school year, the employer agrees to continue payment of full insurance benefits as per Article VII, Section 7.7 of the SEA/District 186 collective bargaining agreement, provided said teachers are rehired.
C. Non-Tenure Part-Time Teachers
1. If the part-time teacher’s performance is not satisfactory, as determined by the evaluation process, the teacher shall be terminated pursuant to 14.2 of the collective bargaining agreement and shall receive a letter notifying the teacher of his/her termination.
2. Non-tenure part-time teachers whose positions are reduced shall be entitled to recall rights under Article XIX of the Agreement, vis-a-vis other part-time non-tenured teachers whose positions were reduced, to part-time jobs becoming available in the subsequent school year. If the RIFd part-time non-tenured teacher desires full-time employment, he/she will receive a re-employment form to indicate preference of grade level(s), and/or subject level(s). Such unit members will be considered for such available positions for which they are qualified and shall be granted an interview(s).
3. See Article XXI for rights related to non-tenure part-time teachers assigned to WIA and alternative education programs.
5.7 PRE-SERVICE TRAINING FOR NEW TEACHERS
A. All teachers employed new to District 186 will have up to three additional days of in-service training prior to the first day of the 180 day contract.
B. The curriculum for the in-service training will be developed collaboratively with SEA.
C. The in-service days shall allow time for teachers to work in their classrooms and/or other work sites.
D. New teachers will be compensated at the Step 1/Column 1 hourly rate which is in effect for the new school year.
E. Eligibility for the District’s health, life, and optional dental coverage commences with the first day in attendance at the Pre-Service Training for new teachers.
5.8. SUMMER SCHOOL
Preference and Criteria for Selection:
Positions in the summer school program shall be filled where possible by regularly appointed teachers in the District if they apply for appointment at least one month before the end of the preceding school year. In filling such positions, consideration should be given to a teacher’s competence, major and minor fields of study, and length of service in the school district. Applicant must be under contract for the coming year (contracted teachers of the previous year will be given preference over new teachers to the district). If no qualified applicants are available, the administration may go beyond these provisions. Persons who teach regular school subjects for which credit can be granted toward graduation of the pupil must be certified under Illinois law.
Positions will be filled as rapidly as enrollment data permits. Applicants will be told of their status as soon as this is clear. Final hiring may not occur until after the actual beginning of summer classes. Teachers not hired will be notified by telephone or in writing not later than one week following the commencement of summer school.
5.9 SCHOOL CALENDAR
A. Contract Reference:
The school calendar(s) shall be set forth in Appendix A.
B. Full Day Workshops:
All full day workshops shall be designated on the official calendar.
Between Semester Workshops:
A full day “between semesters” workshop will be designated on the official calendar so that professional development may be provided.