18. Job Share/Exchange (Teacher & ESP)
< Table of Contents
18.1 JOB SHARING
Job sharing shall be defined as two tenured/non-probationary employees currently employed by the district sharing one full-time position for which they are both qualified/certified. Employees in these positions shall be considered less than full-time and shall be provided all benefits and conditions specified in this agreement on a pro-rata basis unless expressly provided otherwise. Job sharing positions shall be created from full-time allocated positions and job share applications must be submitted to the Superintendent by March 1st of the school year previous to the year in which the job share will commence and the principal must concur with this request.
1. Movement on the salary schedule will occur at the beginning of the school year after the full year of credit has been earned.
2. Employees who job share shall receive one-half year credit for each school year in the job sharing position.
3. Job sharing employees will remain on the same step of the salary schedule until one full year of credit has been earned (two years in a job sharing position).
Employees who job share shall receive one-half year district seniority for each school year in the job sharing position.
D. Leaves and Benefits for Teachers
1. Leaves shall be applied consistently with the provisions of Article 5.6A and B.
2. Medical Insurance shall be applied consistently with the provisions of Article 5.6A and B.
3. For teachers, District Retirement Points will be earned as outlined in Article 9.1E on a pro-rata basis.
E. Job Sharing Responsibilities
1. Teacher Requirements
All teachers in a job sharing position will be required to formulate a plan based on Article IX which includes, but is not limited to, the following: grading, classroom management, supervision/duties, faculty meetings, hours to be worked, parent engagement nights, workshops and Wednesday collaboration. No plan will be approved without shared participation in professional development. The plan will be created in collaboration with the principal and submitted in writing at the same time the job sharing application is submitted. Both parts must be submitted to the Superintendent prior to March 1st of the year previous to the beginning of the job share. The plan must be approved by May 1st in order to move forward with the job share.
F. Length of Job Share
1. A job share shall be for one calendar year commencing with the first day of school for that school year.
2. A job share may be extended for a second year provided that both parties involved request such an extension in writing to the Superintendent by March 1 and the building principal concurs with this request.
3. At the conclusion of the job share, the employees sharing the position shall return to their original positions as provided in Article 12.11D for teachers and 12.12D for ESPs – Reinstatement Upon Return from Leave.
G. Leave of Absence
An approved application for a job sharing position constitutes a part-time leave (as per Article 12.11A for teachers and 12.12A for ESPs) from the District.
H. Change of Status
In the event the employment of a participating employee ceases, for whatever reason (including leave of absence), the Superintendent or his/her designee shall have the right to return the remaining participating employee to full-time status or fill the vacant position in any other manner as deemed appropriate.
The provisions of the job share shall not be subject to the grievance procedure (Article III).
18.2 EMPLOYEE EXCHANGE PROGRAM
Employees will be given the option of arranging an exchange with another employee based upon the following guidelines:
A. Employees shall be qualified/certified to perform the duties of the position.
B. For ESPs, the exchange will be for the period of one school year. For teachers, the exchange will be for the period of one school year at the elementary level, and for either one semester or a full school year at the middle and high school levels.
C. At the end of the exchange period, the employees may choose to:
1. apply to renew the exchange for an additional year (or semester at the middle and high school levels);
2. return to their original position; or
3. with the mutual concurrence of both building principals, make a permanent switch of positions.
D. Initial application for an exchange, application for the renewal of an exchange, or application to request a permanent switch shall be made in writing to the Human
Resources Office by April 15th of each school year. All requests shall require the approval of the Superintendent. Action on all requests will be taken by May 10th of each school year. Initial application for an exchange for the second semester of a school year shall be made to the Human Resources Office by November 30 of each school year.
E. Any school affected by RIF or involuntary transfer will base staffing decisions on the employee’s original assignment prior to the exchange.
F. This exchange program shall not be subject to the grievance procedure.
< A17: Vacancies, Transfers, and Promotion
A19: Reduction in Force (RIF) >